Thank you to everyone who made our Registration Night a success! We had more than 25 families who came out and many more children who received free backpacks full of school supplies! We had 13 wonderful volunteers who assisted us with the night, including some of our own teen girls (I’m so proud!) Thank you to Gwen and Mary from the library, Tina, Sarah, and Debbie from Families ETC, Lauren and her team from LASO, Carol from 4C, and Mary and Angie from the Chapel! It was so nice to have such a great turnout from the wider community to support the Garden Quarter families. Thank you! I’m looking forward to a great 2014-2015 school year!
We will be having our annual Registration Night tonight! Wednesday, August 13th from 4-6pm!
During that time, families come to register their students with our after-school program (for free) and in return, students receive a free backpack full of school supplies (thanks to The Chapel of McHenry!)
This year, we’ll also be inviting the McHenry Public Library, Community Coordinated Child Care, Big Brothers, Big Sisters, Families ETC, and the Latin American Student Organization of McHenry West Campus.
A HUGE thank you to Mary Frank and The Chapel for your donations of backpacks full of supplies! Our students are eagerly awaiting to receive theirs and to see what’s inside! Your community support is such a blessing to our students and families. Thank you thank you!!
We are currently seeking a Parent Program Facilitator!
As the Parent Program Facilitator you will oversee our Parent Program. You will report directly to the Executive Director and work with our Youth Programs Manager to ensure quality programming for our community. See below for more information:
- Position begins August of 2014
- Host monthly parent meetings; third Wednesday of the month at 7:00pm
- Host office hours on a regular basis
- Other responsibilities can be completed either at the Garden Quarter office or at home.
- Total hours: 24 hours per month
Background & Experience
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred
- Experience working with a social agency, specifically with youth and families preferred
Job Responsibilities & Expectations
- Initiate, organize and implement all aspects of the Parent Program activities and core elements: monthly educational meetings for parents, regular office hours, assistance for families in accessing community resources
- Update parents on youth programming events
- Alert parents of upcoming meeting events and track parent attendance
- Keep open communication with Youth Programs Manager regarding Parent Program updates
- Track and provide program data to Executive Director
- Maintain a safe and healthy environment within the program
- Assist the Executive Director in maintaining community partnerships
- Assist families in accessing community resources
- Remain flexible to the needs of the program and organization
Skills & Specifications
- Fluent in Spanish
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills
- Self-starter and able to work independently
- Excellent listening, reading, writing, and speaking skills
- Commitment and respect for diversity
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals
- Knowledge of McHenry County community agencies and resources a plus
- Ability to demonstrate interactive skills with children and adults
- Basic data entry skills needed
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
Application, Resume, & Cover Letter
Applicants meeting the above requirements: please fill out our Parent Program Facilitator Application and email resumes and cover letters to email@example.com. Only email applications are accepted.
Garden Day was rousing success, thanks to all our volunteers and community members. Volunteers and students, plus their young siblings, prepared the garden for this summer’s growing season by tilling, planting seeds, and transplanting seedlings. Others beautified the front beds with wildflower seeds and lots of sunflowers. This annual event capped off our Volunteer Appreciation Week, but we will never stop thanking them for for their hard work and generosity.